COBIS Education Team
Led by Mr Stuart Watson, Burns Surgeon, UK
Stuart Watson: Consultant Burns and Plastic Surgeon at the Canniesburn Unit in Glasgow Royal Infirmary, and Director of ReSurge Africa. He is also one of the European representatives on the Executive Committee of the International Society for Burn Injuries (ISBI) and a member of the steering group of the ISBI developing international guidelines for the care of burn injuries.
Peter Lindle: Consultant Paramedic
Sharon Ramsay: Specialist Burns Nurse
Joanna Tannock: Specialist Burns Nurse
Elaine MacLure: Specialist Burns Nurse
Gillian Calder: Physiotherapist
For more info on COBIS, visit: www.cobis.scot.nhs.uk
Learn to manage major and minor burns from a faculty of burns specialists led by eminent burns surgeon, Mr Stuart Watson, and sponsored by COBIS (Care of Burns in Scotland).
The course consists of lectures, plus practical tutorials, covering the essentials of physiology, recognition, assessment, and management of all common burn types.
By the end of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the assessment of burn injuries
- Initiate a treatment plan for most burn injuries
- Describe the importance of infection prevention; nutrition; temperature control; pain management; physiotherapy and psychological care of burn patients
- Undertake debridement and dressing of burn wounds
- Describe why large burn injuries cause systemic illness and why burns may threaten the airway, cause renal failure, and multi-organ failure.
All doctors, nurses, and paramedics who look after acute burns (ED, ENP, Rural GP, etc).